Monday, January 02, 2012

Reflections from San Francisco


3 week of brutal confrontation with the cold here in the Bay area, a fourth week of finally getting out on the roads, taking in the awe-inspiring beauty of California and making a merry lot of new friends, many of them decades older than I am; but way cooler, healthier and fitter.

It totally thrills me to see older men and women (in their 50s to 80s) keeping their fitness despite their age...

I see them working out at any odd hour in the gym, be it 5am, 12pm, 3pm or 5pm.

I see them riding on the roads, be it flats, steep climbs or death-defying, harrowing descends.

I see them happily married, working out together with their spouses in the gym or out riding on the roads.

What more can I say? It's incredibly heartening to behold such strength of the human body and soul, regardless of age. I am privileged, no, deeply privileged, to be where I am, doing what I do, seeing things I’ve never seen, learning things I never knew, experiencing culture and people that stretches my horizon out of a small square box I call ‘my mind’.








No comments: