Saturday, September 02, 2006

We Are One

Maya Angelou says: "If it is true that a chain is only as strong as its weakest link, isn't it also true a society is only as healthy as its sickest citizen and only as wealthy as its most deprived?"

Now in the context of relationship, may I add: Isn't it true a relationship is only as strong and healthy as its weaker partner?


I feel so imperfect. I have not learnt to view us as one, that we share of our lives, in sickness and in health; in poorer and in richer; in good and bad times. I see myself as a liability especially when I’m a constant beneficiary of his kind acts. I think this is perverted gratitude. Grappling with insecurity, I see myself the lousier of us both. That I am impatient, unforgiving, unloving, petty, brash, curt, insensitive, impolite in anger. I carry a sack of indebtedness towards my kind benefactor and add to the existing load, guilt at having not reciprocated his kindness.

I think I have not grasped and applied the powerful truth that “perfect love casts out all fears.” That when I truly understand how much I am loved, by my Father in heaven and by him, the perfect love and kindness showed me liberates me to change to be a better me.



No comments: